
Top twenty things about my dad:
1. There is not a single thing in the world he wouldn't do for his kids.
2. He always worked hard, and never complained about it.
3. He spent thousands of mornings sitting on cold beaches watching me learn how to surf. I am sure it wasn't pretty. But because of him, I am a surfer.
4. He was an athlete, and I wasn't. If he was ever once disappointed that he didn't get to see me make the big play, he never showed it. He did get to see me blow a lot of good waves.
5. There was a five year period, roughly associated with high school, that I looked like I was headed for jail at best. He never gave up on me even though I was a complete a$$hole (thanks dad).
6. He enjoys long distance driving. I suppose this reveals a contemplative nature.
7. He is a friendly, outgoing, upbeat person. I really saw this when we worked together at the same company for a while. He was never the guy that was "just having a bad day."
8. He is extremely intelligent and well-read. I grew up seeing lots of books on bookshelves, which is probably why I have them too.
9. I can always count on him to lose his marbles when "some assembly is required," which has always been good for a laugh.
10. He has spent a majority of his adult life serving others, whether that was his kids, his parents, his sons-in-law, his elders quorum, whatever. He always helps out.
11. He calls me from work all the time. Sometimes he sounds bored. It's pretty classic.
12. He is proud of me for going to graduate school and becoming a historian, even though it meant that I became a liberal. I guarantee that I am the only liberal in the world he trusts.
13. He is the only conservative that I trust.
14. He is from West Texas, but he is not a redneck. Well he's kind of a redneck but it's deep in there somewhere and he only exhibits the best elements of redneck culture.
15. No matter how dumb and selfish I am, he is equally smart, patient, and understanding.
16. He knows every street in Los Angeles, and all the best burger joints. One time this almost got us shot, but I still remember that the burger was exceptional.
17. He is a compulsive car washer and vacuumer. When he comes to visit, I always vacuum and wash the car, just so he doesn't freak out. And then he usually vacuums and washes the car a few times anyway, just to be safe.
18. He will NEVER live down the "lush tropical vegetation" comment. Never.
19. For a guy that gets pissed off really easily, when things REALLY go haywire or there is a crisis, he has a remarkable ability to stay calm, focused, and find a solution.
20. Last year when he came to visit us he and my mom grabbed the ocean kayak and had a go at it. They got caught in a huge rainstorm and flipped the thing countless time (I watched), but he had a blast. He still has a sense of adventure.
21. (Okay, one more)...When I need advice or just someone to talk to about my problems, he will always be the person I call first. His advice is always right, and he knows when to listen. I guess that makes him my best friend.
Happy Father's Day dad...I love you.
Matt
2 comments:
MATT
The Fathers Day gift that you wrote for your Dad was wonderful. It makes me sad that I didn't continue my education like you did. I would die happy if both of my sons would write me something similar to this someday. I can't tell you how much I miss you guys. Any plans to come to California........Matt, your Dad is a perfect role model for being a man and a father. How can you improve on how you were raised. What pressure. I'm kidding. PLEASE kiss your kids and wife on the neck and tell them that we love and miss you guys.
Kelly
'Antie Doey'
MATT
The Fathers Day gift that you wrote for your Dad was wonderful. It makes me sad that I didn't continue my education like you did. I would die happy if both of my sons would write me something similar to this someday. I can't tell you how much I miss you guys. Any plans to come to California........Matt, your Dad is a perfect role model for being a man and a father. How can you improve on how you were raised. What pressure. I'm kidding. PLEASE kiss your kids and wife on the neck and tell them that we love and miss you guys.
Kelly
'Antie Doey'
Post a Comment